Black bin - household waste
We provide a black wheelie bin for refuse. This is collected fortnightly.
Your black bin is for household waste that cannot be recycled through any of the recycling collections or recycling facilities available to you.
Types of waste that can go in the black bin
You can put in:
- disposable nappies
- items contaminated with food
- food waste (PDF 2.3MB) (where food waste collection is not provided)
- pet bedding and bagged pet waste
Types of waste that cannot go in the black bin
You cannot put in:
- recyclable items
- rubble, soil and DIY waste
- uncontained liquid waste (including paint)
- car batteries
- anything that will cause the bin to be too heavy to be moved or emptied
- any hazardous or clinical waste - these have to be treated and / or disposed of in a special way
- commercial / business waste
Order food waste bags, garden waste sacks or a bin
You can now order replacement food waste bags and garden waste sacks online.
If your waste bin is lost or damaged please telephone 0300 300 8302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new one.