What you should bring and costs
When you telephone to book an appointment, we will tell you what to bring with you. Instructions explaining which documents are needed are in the SET (M) application form (link opens in new window) and guidance notes (link opens in new window) . These are available on the UK Visas and Immigration website (link opens in new window).
You and your settled spouse or partner should attend the Settlement Checking Service appointment. If your partner cannot attend, he / she must provide a letter stating that he / she supports the application. The letter must be signed and dated, with a daytime phone number where he / she can be contacted if necessary.
Failure of your spouse or partner to provide evidence to support the application, if unable to attend, may result in the application being cancelled and the fee will be lost.
There are two types of SET (M) application forms on the UK Visas and Immigration website.
SET (M) application forms
The online SET (M) form - this version of the SET (M) form must be completed online. You have to complete the form and pay for the application on line. You must print a copy of the form and take it with you to your appointment.
The printable SET (M) form - this version of the SET (M) form allows you to print a copy of the form and complete it by hand. With this version you must supply your payment details so that the payment can be processed when the form is received by the UK Border Agency.
In summary, you must bring:
- a completed latest version of the SET (M) application form (either the form you have completed on line and printed or the form you have printed first and then completed by hand)
- your knowledge of ‘Life in the UK’ pass notification AND your speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification
- the supporting documents requested in the SET (M) application form and guidance notes
- if you completed the SET (M) application form on line, you must bring the confirmation that you have paid the Home Office
- if you completed the SET (M) application form by hand you must complete your credit or debit card details on the form, or bring a cheque or postal order (payable to the Home Office, Leave to Remain)
- the Settlement Checking Service fee is a separate payment from the application fee (payable by cash or cheque at the appointment)
The cost of the Settlement Checking Service
- the fee for this service is £90 inclusive of VAT for each application plus £15 for each dependant on the application
- the fee is non-refundable
- the fee is charged in addition to the SET (M) application fee charged by the Home Office
- we accept most major credit or debit cards (not Diners Card or American Express). Note: credit card payments will incur a surcharge of 1.8%. If you pay by debit card there will be no surcharge. Your card details will be taken at the time of booking the appointment
Cancellation rights: Under the Consumer Contracts (Information Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 you have the right to cancel the appointment and receive a full refund of the fee you have paid to us if you do so within 14 calendar days. If your appointment is held within the 14 day period these cancellation rights will end when you attend the appointment.
Payment made by credit card will incur a surcharge of 1.8%.
Appointments may only be re-arranged at the discretion of the service.
The service reserves the right to postpone / move appointments due to circumstances whereby an officer is not available to provide the service or in an emergency.
There will be no refund for non-attendance of if the appointment is abandoned by the Checking Officer because the criteria for the application are not met.
Furthermore, fees will not be refunded in the event that your application is either refused by the Home Office or is withdrawn by you.