About the service
The Service allows customers to submit their SET(M) application (link opens in new window) for permission to settle permanently (also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK as a spouse or partner of a British Citizen or settled person at a Registration Service.
The service will:
- check that the application is complete and all the necessary supporting documents have been included
- check that you have paid the correct application fee
- check if any of the documents are missing, not acceptable or if you have provided documents that are not required by UK Visas and Immigration
- make certified copies and return all relevant documents including your spouse or partner’s passport or travel documents
- send documents to UK Visas and Immigration via secure mail
- ensure your application will arrive at UK Visas and Immigration complete, avoiding any unnecessary delays
The UK Visas and Immigration has found that the Settlement Checking Service is generally faster than the normal postal application process. This is due to fewer applications being rejected due to incompleteness or missing documents. The Settlement Checking service is not a premium service.