Documents to register a birth
When attending to register you will be asked questions regarding names, dates, addresses and places.
To help ensure the accuracy of the information recorded, it would be useful if you could bring supporting documentation with you.
Don't worry if some of these documents are not available, as the registrar can still proceed to register the birth.
Examples of acceptable documents:
- council tax bill
- driving licence
- all marriage / civil partnership certificates
- birth certificate
- deed poll
The Registrar will ask you for the following information:
- date and place of birth
- full name of child
- full names of the child's parents
- mother's maiden name (if applicable)
- address of child's parents
- occupation of child's parents
- child's parents dates and place of birth and date of marriage (if applicable)