Book appointment to register a birth
Registration is free and you will receive a free birth certificate, which shows:
- the baby's name
- date of birth
- whether your baby is a boy or girl
- district of birth
Who needs to be at the registration?
If the parents were married to each other at the time of the birth, either the mother or father can register the baby.
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth, the father's details can only be entered in the register in the following circumstances:
- where the mother and father attend together before the registrar to register the birth
- where the father is unable to attend with the mother, it is possible for him to make a legal declaration in front of a solicitor confirming that he is the father (copies of this form can be obtained from any registrar in England or Wales), which the mother should give to the registrar
- where the mother is unable to attend the office with the father, it is possible for her to make a legal declaration, confirming the name of the father (copies of this form can be obtained from any registrar in England or Wales), which the father should give to the registrar
- where either parent has obtained a relevant court order this should be given to the registrar who will advise you further