Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Calculator

The Web Benefits Calculator - simply fill out this form for an instant on-line estimate.

Remember this calculation is only an estimate and is based on the information you supply. For a full evaluation you must make a claim. Do not delay - Usually Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support will only start from the Monday after we receive your form.

Step 1: Rent

This section requests rent and weekly LHA details for a Housing Benefit Claim (skip Step 1 if you just want help with your Council Tax bill)


Step 2: Council Tax

This section requests your Council Tax details (skip this stage if you do not want help with your Council Tax bill).

Step 3: General

This section requests some General Information about you. If you answer "Yes" to the first question you can skip all the income questions (steps 7 to 11) because your income will be entirely disregarded for the purposes of this calculation.

Step 4: Capacities and Disabilities

This section looks for claimant (and partner) work capacity / health / disability issues or carer functions (if any) - otherwise skip this step. Should you be one of the few Permitted Work earners (on the higher monetary limit) then you are likely to be awarded substantial benefit so do apply asap. Be sure to enter any Employment and Support Allowance payments down at Step 8 as other unearned income. Where a partner gets the (higher) ESA support component, a couple might want to swap claim roles to increase potential HB/CTS.

and .

and , if applicable.

You or your partner get Attendance or Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Invalid Vehicle Scheme or Motability, War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement, Severe Disablement Allowance, Incapacity Benefit (paid at the long term rate) or you are registered blind (or regained your sight in the last 28 weeks)?
You (the claimant only) have been off work sick for at least 52 weeks (28 if terminally ill) with medical evidence / sick notes

  1. You (and partner) get care component of DLA (middle/high rate) or the PIP daily living component or Attendance / Constant Attendance Allowance  (or partner blind and you get one), and
  2. No other adult lives in your home except your partner, other than disabled persons, your carer, landlord or other tenants,

Step 5: Children and Young Persons

This section requests details of your children and young persons for whom child benefit is paid.

Step 6: Single Lone Parent

This section requests details for single lone parents only - otherwise skip this step

Step 7: Earnings

This section requests your earnings details. As mentioned at Step 3, skip to step 12 if you are on Income Support, Income-based JSA, Income-related ESA or PGC. Give figures for the claimant (and partner). Include average earnings from employment and self employment. Be sure to enter weekly figures in the Weekly column only and monthly figures in the Monthly column only.

£ Weekly

£ Monthly

Step 8: Unearned Income

This section requests your Unearned income figures for you (and your partner). Please enter weekly amounts.
Please subtract a £20.00 disregard from the weekly rent received from each sub-tenant.



We do not count War Pensions, charitable payments or payments made as a result of personal injury as income. Please do not include them in your unearned income below.

Step 9: Savings

This section requests your Savings, Investments and other assets (claimant and partner). The home you live in and personal possessions do not count. You will not qualify for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you and any partner have over £16,000 in savings and investments, unless you are pension age and getting Pension Guarantee Credit or claiming a second adult rebate only.


Step 10: Childcare

This section requests your eligible childcare charges (up to £175 per week for 1 child or £300 for more than 1 child) and student expenses. Charges for registered or approved childcare can be deducted from the income of couples or lone parents in remunerative work or on Statutory Sick, Maternity, Paternity or Adoption Pay or a similar benefit (up to 28 weeks).Each parent must be working at least 16 hours a week - but couples still qualify if one works and the partner is incapacitated, in hospital or prison. N.B. costs of childcare in the child's own home by a close relative are excluded.


Step 11: Tax and Pension Credits

This section looks for Tax and Pension Credits - income for (nearly) everyone from the Government! They get added to claim income.


Step 12: Non Rent Paying Adults

This section looks for other adults who live with you but are not sub-tenants or boarders. Don't count your partner, students or members of the armed forces away on operations. These so called "non-dependants" are assumed to be contributing to the household income so a deduction is made from your benefit or support for each one. Please enter the number of non-dependants in each of these Income Categories. Skip this step if you (or your partner) are disabled due to blindness, or are receiving a DLA care / PIP living component or Attendance Allowance.

That's all you need to do!   Click and let the program work it out.

(automatically calculated)

Tax / Pension Credits p/w

How your benefit is worked out. If your total Applicable Amount is higher than your Net Weekly Income, maximum benefit/support is awarded. But if your Net Weekly Income is higher than your Applicable Amount, 65% of the "excess income" is deducted from maximum HB to reach your award. For Council Tax Support, 20% of the "excess income" is deducted from the maximum award. Non-dependant deductions are also taken off at this stage.


A cap may now be put on the total amount of Benefits you can get, one of which is Housing Benefit. To find out whether the Benefit Cap will be applied to you, go to You will need to make a note of how much HB is shown here. No cap will apply to Council Tax Support.

If you are pension age, you may be able to get Alternative Council Tax Support, often called Second Adult Rebate. It is based on the income of your non-dependants. The program calculates if you are better off with an award based on your circumstances or your non-dependants. Second adult rebate weekly CT Support.

And finally you can use the browser Print button to launch a print or change your figures to calculate again or the whole lot.

Valid April 2014 through March 2015 - Copyright