In order to place building materials/bags/cement mixers/containers/cranes on the footway, verge or carriageway, a permit for each location is required from Bedfordshire Highways.
An application form needs to be obtained, completed and returned together with a cheque for £36 before a licence can be processed. The cost covers up to four weeks. Each extension for more time for up to four weeks may be applied for and will cost a further £36.
For further information please contact Gareth Hughes.
Tel: 0845 3656 179
Fax: 0845 3656 001
If a business offers credit or lends money to consumers, or allows customers time to pay for goods and services, it must have authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
The following types of business must be licensed with the FCA:
- consumer credit
- consumer hire
- debit adjusting and debt counselling
- debt collecting
- credit reference agencies
- canvassing credit off trade premises
The Financial Conduct Authority holds a public record of all licensed traders and of all those who have applied for a licence. They can provide details to the public about its licensed businesses, such as the type of activities they cover, their authorised trading names and main business address.
To find out more about your duties as a credit provider, including guidance on who needs a licence and how to apply for one, see the consumer credit area of the Financial Conduct Authority website.
Any scaffold or hoarding which encroaches or projects over the highway requires a scaffold permit. These permits are only issued to the scaffolding company.
When it is necessary to place hoardings on the highway around the place of work or scaffolding, permission is necessary and can be obtained from the council, on completion of a form together with a sketch. Once permission has been granted, the conditions attached to the licence must be carefully read and kept to at all times.
The basic requirements of the conditions are as follows:
- to be a minimum of 2.5m high and to be able to withstand high winds
- illumination may be required if street lighting is not adequate
- must have a smooth finish with no protruding parts
- pedestrian walkways of satisfactory width are to be maintained or provided and regularly inspected by the Contractor
- during the erection or dismantling period, a safe working area at ground level is required to be provided to prevent pedestrians gaining access. Will require illumination unless no part of it is less than 0.45m (18 inches) from a carriageway in a horizontal direction and no part of it over a footway is less than 2.4m (8 feet) above the footway
- pedestrian walkway to be maintained around the scaffold. If this cannot be arranged, it requires to be designed to allow access under and through the scaffold safely - no trip hazards, no projecting tubes or fittings, covered adequately to provide a working platform and prevent materials or debris falling through. Poles to be highlighted. A reasonable free walking width must be maintained to enable persons in wheelchairs/prams, etc. to pass the scaffold safely
The council has the necessary powers to issue licences for scaffolding; to require erection of hoardings to separate building works from the street; and to ensure hoardings are securely erected.
The cost is currently £108 for up to one month.
For further information on scaffolding and hoarding permits, please contact Gareth Hughes.
Tel: 0845 3656179
Fax: 0845 3656001
Second-hand goods traders are subject to all relevant Trading Standards legislation, but they are not required to hold a licence to trade in second hand goods within Central Bedfordshire. However, other local authorities may require you to hold such a licence. If you are trading in another county, we recommend that you check with the relevant local authority before you start to trade.
In order to place a builder's skip on the highway, a permit for each location is required from Central Bedfordshire Highways.
A skip permit application should be made through a skip company, who will send the application to us and, assuming everything is in order, we will send the permit back to them. The conditions are part of the permit.
A charge is made to the skip company of £36 for up to 4 weeks and continuation is subject to a further charge of £36.
For further information on skip permits, please contact Gareth Hughes.
Tel: 0845 3656179
Fax: 0845 3656001
If you want to close all or part of your road to hold a street party, you will need to get permission from Bedfordshire Highways. Please call 0300 300 8049, giving us as much notice as possible before your event.
Please note that you may also require some insurance to cover your event, this may also cover seeking permission from householders who are not involved in the party.
Street parties are organised by groups of residents for their neighbours and are usually quite straightforward to organise. They generally don't include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol, trading or providing entertainment, but there's plenty of street party information on the gov.uk website on when licences may be required.
Operators of public weighing equipment must ensure that they can perform their duties competently and honestly. To operate public weighing equipment you must hold a certificate from the Chief Trading Standards Officer.
Applicants will be tested by a Trading Standards officer to show that they can:
- operate the weighbridge satisfactorily
- complete any weighbridge tickets and documentation satisfactorily
- understand basic terms associated with operating a weighbridge
- understand their duties as a weighbridge operator
- understand potential frauds which a weighbridge operator may unknowingly assist
- understand how the accuracy of the weighbridge may be affected
- perform simple arithmetic
Before applying for a test, please make sure you have received sufficient training in the operation of the equipment. The scope of an operator's certificate is limited to the type of weighbridge you will be expected to use. Should the weighbridge be replaced, a new certificate will be required
Please contact us for the full details of how to bring into operation a public weighbridge and how to acquire certification. Email: Trading.firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 0300 300 8307.
Any public weighbridge attendant who commits any of the following will be guilty of an offence:
- carries out a weighing unfairly
- fails provide a written record of the weight recorded
- fails to make an accurate record of the weighing, including the time and date of it and, when weighing a vehicle, such particulars of the vehicle and any load on it as will identify that vehicle and that load
- provides a false statement of any weight found or makes a false record of any weighing
- commits any fraud in connection with any weighing or purported weighing
All public weighbridges are regularly tested for accuracy as part of our inspection programme.Public Weighbridges
Select Plant Hire
Tel: 01480 407080
Fax: 01480 402634
H Maskell and Son Ltd
Duck End Farm
Duck End Lane
Mobile: 07785 986554
We do not supply the following licences:
- licence for auction premise
- permit to occupy the road in connection with building work
- change a permit to occupy the road in connection with building work
- extend a permit to occupy the road in connection with building work
- massage and special treatment premises licence
- change to massage and special treatment premises licence
- renew massage and special treatment premises licence
- markets - stall rental
- markets licence
- changing circumstances for licences - markets
- view information on Central Bedfordshire's markets
- second hand dealers licence
- hairdressers licence
- cooling tower registration
- pleasure boat licence
- change licence - pleasure boats
- renew licence - pleasure boats
- entertainment licence
- tourism - accommodation - camping and caravan sites
- Changing circumstances - accommodation - camping and caravan sites
- stage hypnotism licence
- consent to distribute leaflets
- change a consent to distribute leaflets
- environmental permitting
- changing circumstances environmental permitting
- environmental permitting - annual subsistence charge
Before applying for a licence, please check your site address falls within Central Bedfordshire. Please click on the link below and enter your postcode.
Enter online mapping
If your address appears as a result then your site falls within Central Bedfordshire and therefore eligible to apply for a licence.
If the result is showing as 'No matching addresses found' then your site falls outside Central Bedfordshire and you should not apply for a licence with this authority.