* What are the changes to the Bedfordshire Adult Skills and Community Learning Service?
On 5th December 2012, Central Bedfordshire Council’s Executive made the difficult decision to move to a commissioning based model for its Adult Skills and Community Learning Service and to focus on supporting adults into work.
* Why has the Council decided to stop running Leisure and Pleasure Courses?
The Executive’s decision to accept this new direction means that the service cannot continue to deliver everything it currently does. This applies particularly to leisure and pleasure courses, of which approximately 10% of the service’s learners take part in.
It wasn’t an easy decision to take, but we’re managing to lessen the impact on learners by working with other providers across Central Bedfordshire and Bedford Borough to sign post learners to alternative adult learning provision.
* When will leisure and pleasure courses run to?
BASCL Leisure and Pleasure courses will run until 31st July 2013 i.e. the end of the academic year.
* Can I finish the course I am doing?
Any learner who is currently taking a Leisure and Pleasure course will be able to finish their course.
* Does the Council not recognise the importance of Leisure and Pleasure courses on well being for older residents?
Whilst the Council has made the difficult decision to no longer directly deliver 'Leisure and Pleasure' courses, we do recognise the importance of recreational learning for residents of all ages and we are working with Local Adult Learning Providers to ensure that learners are affected by the changes as little as possible.
There are alternative organisations that offer similar courses, please find their contact details below.
Barnfield College 01582 569569
Bedford College 01234 291000
Central Bedfordshire College 01582 477776
Luton ACL 01582 490033
Bedford Art and Craft Centre 01234 266510
Bedford Retirement Centre 01234 302203
Moodle is known as: an Open Source Course Management System (CMS); a Learning Management System (LMS); a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
We have developed a Moodle that allows:
- Learners to complete an online induction to the service
- Learners to take part in blended learning courses
- Tutors to complete online training at a time that suits them
- Staff to access key information and Staff Development opportunities
Log onto our learning moodle by entering your user name and password.