Paying for residential care

What happens if I am married?

If you are married or living with someone as a couple we will only assess your financial resources. If both of you are going into care, we will assess your finances individually to work out how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of your own care.

If you are married and going into residential care, and receive an occupational pension, personal pension or payments from a retirement annuity contract, we will ignore 50% of that pension if you choose to transfer that share to your partner who is staying at home. However, this may affect the state benefits that your partner can receive.

You may wish to get independent financial advice to help you make this decision.

Back to the top