Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Air Quality Network
The Herts and Beds Air Quality Monitoring Network (link opens in new window) was formed in 1999 by all the District / Borough Councils in the two counties and ERG (Kings College London). Luton Airport also joined the network in 2003.
The network was formed principally to collate and report air quality monitoring results from across the region. The network's aims are:
- to provide the public with easy and free access to information about the quality of the air that they are breathing
- to provide regular reports comparing air quality across the region
- to assist in developing local and national strategies to improve air quality
- to set up an archive of monitoring results
- to ensure a consistently high standard of monitoring data across the region
The equipment used to accurately monitor air pollutants is complex and very sensitive. Consequently, purchase and running costs of each continuous monitoring site are high.
By sharing information across the network, the local authorities can create a more comprehensive and detailed picture of pollution levels throughout the two counties.
The network maintains a joint website where monitoring data and information on air quality can be viewed or downloaded.