Decisions made by the Executive (or a Committee of the Executive, individual Executive Member or Officer on a key issue under delegation) but not yet implemented can be ‘called-in’ for reconsideration in certain circumstances. The Overview and Scrutiny Committees have the responsibility for looking into these call-in requests.
According to the Constitution of Central Bedfordshire Council, decisions can be called in by either:
- an individual member where a decision has particular significance for that member’s ward
- or the chairman of the relevant overview and scrutiny committee
- or any 2 members of the relevant overview and scrutiny committee
- any 3 non-executive members of the Council
Call-ins requested must be made on the relevant form, and reasons for the call-in request must be given. Call-ins can be made no later than midday on the eighth day after the decision is made.
The full Call-In Procedure is contained within Part D2 section 10 (PDF 1B) of the Central Bedfordshire Constitution (link opens in new window).
The relevant Overview and Scrutiny Committee must consider the call-in at the next available meeting. The Overview and Scrutiny Committee has several options after consideration of the call-in:
- ask the decision-maker to reconsider the decision; and/or
- make recommendations to the decision-maker for a solution
- agree with the decision and / or
- refer the matter to full Council, if the matter relates to an issue outside the Budget and Policy Framework
The following call-ins have been received by the appropriate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, please click on the decisions to view further information:
Call-in of a decision of Traffic Management relating to works on Barford Road (September 2014)
Call-in of a decision of Traffic Management relating to a goods vehicle weight restriction (January 2013)
Call-in of a decision of Traffic Management relating to an Order under the Cycle Tracks Act 1984 on the footpath that extends from Saxons Close to Hockliffe Road Service Road, Leighton Buzzard (September 2010)
Call-in of a decision of Traffic Management relating to a petition to change speed limits in Husborne Crawley (May 2010)
Call-in of a decision of Executive relating to budget pressures for 2009 / 10 (September 2009)