Our leisure strategy and facilities: leisure centre survey
One of our main priorities is improving the health and wellbeing of our residents. At a time when public services across the country are being squeezed, we have invested in new and improved leisure facilities. Keeping fit and healthy is important to help residents live long, happy and healthy lives. It also reduces the costs to society, particularly for the NHS and social care.
In January 2013, we adopted a new leisure strategy. It identifies the priorities for leisure facilities across the area, and provides £40 million investment to support active lifestyles and help improve public health.
We have six leisure centres in the area, providing a range of facilities:
- Dunstable Leisure Centre (currently closed for a £20.1 million redevelopment, due to re-open in winter 2018/2019)
- Flitwick Leisure Centre (re-developed and opened in March 2016, at a cost of £14.7 million)
- Houghton Regis Leisure Centre (underwent refurbishment in 2017)
- Sandy Sports Centre
- Saxon Leisure Centre in Biggleswade (planned refurbishment of pool changing rooms in 2018/19)
- Tiddenfoot Leisure Centre in Leighton Buzzard (planned refurbishment of pool changing rooms in 2019/20)