Firstly you should choose the venue for your ceremony. This could be in a Register Office, a Church or one of our Approved Venues such as a hotel or stately home.
If you wish to marry in a civil ceremony it is a legal requirement that you then enter Notice of your Intention to Marry. This must be carried out no more than 12 months but at least 15 clear days before the ceremony can take place.
If you live in Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire, you will need to book an appointment with us by telephoning 0300 300 8089. If you live outside Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire and, are not subject to immigration control, you must enter your Notice with the Superintendent Registrar of the registration district where you live.
Proof of identity
- current passport, identity card or aliens registration certificate
- short or full birth certificate if you were born on or before 31/12/1982
- full birth certificate, if you were born on or after 1/1/1983, and your mother's birth certificate
- deed poll, change of name deed or statutory declaration if either of you have changed your name
Proof of residence
- proof of address, can be a driving licence, medical card, council tax or utility bill
If divorced or previous civil partnership dissolved
- original court stamped Decree Absolute(s)/Dissolution(s)
- documents with regard to your marriage/civil partnership abroad
- death certificate(s) of wife or husband
If under 18
- completed Parental Consent Form(s). Consent forms are obtainable from the Superintendent Registrar.
The current fee for entering a Notice of Marriage is £35 for each person. This fee is taken at the time of your appointment.
The marriage fee depends on the venue and the day of the week you choose. If you decide to marry in an Approved Venue such as a hotel, then you must then check with the Superintendent Registrar, that Registration Officers will be available on that day and at that time.
The fees for marriage at an Approved Venue are:
Monday to Friday - £404 *
Saturday - £479 *
Sunday - £534 *
If you choose to marry in a Registration Service ceremony room, the fees are:
Monday to Thursday - £119 *
Friday - £124 *
Saturday - £174 *
We can also offer a ceremony room at each Registration Office for small weddings on various days during the working week (not Saturdays) consisting of only the Bride and Groom, two witnesses and the registration staff for £49. Please contact us for further information.
* This fee includes the issue of one certificate.
You will almost certainly be required to provide certain documents and in some instances a certificate of no impediment which is available from the Register Office. Your travel agent will be able to assist you in the first instance.