Firstly you should choose the venue for your ceremony. This could be in a Register Office, a Church or one of our Approved Venues such as a hotel or stately home.
Giving Notice of Marriage
If you wish to marry in a civil ceremony it is a legal requirement that you then enter notice of your intention to marry. This must be carried out no more than 12 months but at least 15 clear days before the ceremony can take place. Please note from 2 March 2015 the minimum notice period will be 28 clear days and in certain circumstances this may increase to 70 clear days. Please email email@example.com or ring 0300 300 8089 for further information.
You can book an appointment with the Registrar online or by calling 0300 300 8089.
You must live in Central Bedfordshire or Bedford Borough to book an appointment. If you live outside Bedford Borough or Central Bedfordshire and, are not subject to immigration control, you must enter your Notice with the Superintendent Registrar of the registration district where you live.
Proof of identity
- current passport
- short or full birth certificate if you were born on or before 31/12/1982 if you do not have a passport
- if you were born on or after 1/1/1983 and do not have a passport, your full birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate, or father’s birth certificate and your parent’s marriage certificate
- deed poll, change of name deed or statutory declaration if either of you have changed your name.
Proof of residence
- proof of address, can be a driving licence, council tax bill dated within the last year, a utility bill dated within last 3 months or a bank statement dated within the last month.
If divorced or previous civil partnership dissolved
- original court stamped Decree Absolute(s)/Dissolution(s)
- documents with regard to your marriage/civil partnership abroad.
- death certificate(s) of wife or husband.
If under 18
- completed Parental Consent form(s). Consent forms are obtainable from the Superintendent Registrar.
The current fee for entering a Notice of Marriage is £35 for each person. This fee is taken at the time of your appointment.
The marriage fee at a Registration Service ceremony room depends on the maximum capacity of the room and the day of the week you choose.
If you decide to marry in an Approved Venue such as a hotel, then you must then check with the Superintendent Registrar, that Registration Officers will be available on that day and at that time.
The fees for marriage at an Approved Venue are:
Monday to Friday - £419*
Saturday - £494*
Sunday - £554*
The fees for marriage in a Registration Service ceremony room are:
Bedford Room at Bedford Register Office (maximum capacity 100)
Ampthill Room at Ampthill Office (maximum capacity 80)
Monday to Thursday - £139*
Friday - £154*
Saturday - £204*
Biggleswade Room at Biggleswade Office(maximum capacity 50)
Leighton Room at Leighton Buzzard Office (maximum capacity 40)
Dunstable Room at Dunstable Office (maximum capacity 40)
Monday to Thursday - £129*
Friday - £144*
Saturday - £179*
Woburn Room at Ampthill Office (maximum capacity 14)
Registrar's Room at Bedford Office (maximum capacity 14)
Monday to Friday - £124*
Please note: We can also offer a ceremony room at each Registration Office for small weddings on various days during the working week (not Saturdays) consisting of only the Bride and Groom, two witnesses and the registration staff for £50*. Please contact us for further information.
* This fee includes the issue of one certificate.
You will almost certainly be required to provide certain documents and in some instances a certificate of no impediment which is available from the Register Office. Your travel agent will be able to assist you in the first instance.