Sexual violence and abuse is any behaviour perceived to be of a sexual nature, which is unwanted and takes place without consent.
Anyone can be a victim of rape or sexual violence, no matter what age he or she is.
Rapes and sexual assaults can be committed by:
- someone you know
- a relative
- a stranger
- a partner - someone you are in a relationship with
Sexual violence includes:
- trafficking and sexual exploitation
- female genital mutilation (FGM)
- ritual abuse
- forced marriage
- crimes in the name of honour
- sexual intimidation
- coercion or harassment, whether physical or verbal
Please visit Signpost's website (link opens in new window) for more detailed advice and information on the services available to offer support.