Educational psychology for parents

SEND Support Team

Contact SEND Support Team

SEND Support Team
Central Bedfordshire Council
Watling House
High Street North
Dunstable LU6 1LF

Tel: 0300 300 8304


The SEND Support Team are responsible for overseeing and implementing all procedures which relate to Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. This includes:

  • dealing with requests for EHC needs assessments
  • carrying out EHC needs assessments
  • transferring statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDAs) to EHC plans
  • managing the annual review process

What are Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

A child has special educational needs (SEN) if he or she has learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for him or her to learn compared to other children of the same age.

So special educational needs could mean that a child has:

  • learning difficulties – in acquiring basic skills in school
  • emotional and behavioural difficulties – making friends or relating to adults or behaving properly in school
  • specific learning difficulty – with reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • sensory or physical needs - such as hearing or visual impairment, which might affect them in school
  • communication problems – in expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • medical or health conditions – which may slow down a child’s progress and / or involves treatment that affects his or her education

Children make progress at different rates. Teachers will take into account in the way they organise their lessons and teach.

Children making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed.

You should not assume, just because your child is making slower progress than you expected that your child has special educational needs.

Back to the top