Care and support we offer

What can a school or early years provider help with?

Your school will have a SEND Policy and their own Local Offer which should be published on their website.

All schools will have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) will know a lot about your child and will be able to explain what help the school is giving.

They will also be able to explain the different stages of special needs support you can access and tell you if there is anything you need to do. The school may also ask for advice from other professionals, if this is needed.

What does the SENCO do?

The SENCO must be a qualified teacher working at the school overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEN policy whilst co-ordinating provision for children with SEN.

They will also:

  • liaise with the relevant designated teacher where a looked-after pupil has SEN
  • advise on the graduated approach to providing SEN support
  • advise on the deployment of the school’s budget and other resources to meet pupils’ needs effectively
  • liaise with parents of pupils with SEN
  • liaise with early years' providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies
  • be a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the local authority and its support services
  • liaise with potential next providers of education to ensure a pupil and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned
  • work with the head teacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
  • ensure that the school keeps the records of all pupils with SEN up to date

For more information, please download our guides:

Directory of Schools (PDF 951.3KB)

Guide to Academies  (PDF 23.9KB)

Guide to Free Schools  (PDF 13.1KB)

Back to the top