How to avoid postal scams
Here are a few tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of a postal scam:
- received a letter out of the blue - be suspicious!
- informed you have won a prize - if you haven't entered a competition, you can't win it
- you shouldn't have to pay anything up front to receive a prize or winnings
- are you being told you're in line to benefit from a small fortune - ask yourself why?
- is the sender acting like a friend and asking you not to tell anyone else about the letter - ask yourself why?
- is someone claiming to be able to help protect you from bad luck!
- don't be rushed into a making a decision
- never give your card or bank details to someone you've never met
- if in doubt, remove your details and throw the letter away!
Trust your gut feeling - if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!
How to report a scam
Please call 03454 04 05 60 if you spot a scam.
Silence is a scammer's best friend: if you spot it, report it.