Here are a few tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of a doorstep scam:
- visited by a stranger out of the blue - be suspicious and never invite them into your home!
- is the visitor acting like they are doing you a favour or going out of their way for you - ask yourself why?
- if you are interested in what the visitor is offering; shop around first and buy from a reputable business
- don't be rushed or intimidated into a making a decision
- if in doubt, politely ask them to leave and close the door
- never pay money or provide your bank details to someone you've never met
- if you suspect the visitor isn't who they say they are - close the door and make a call to see it they are genuine
If you are visited by someone, trust your gut feeling - if it doesn't sound right or seems too good to be true, then it probably is!
How to report a scam
Please call 03454 04 05 60 if you spot a scam.
Silence is a scammer's best friend: if you spot it, report it.