Good neighbours stop rogue traders.
Are you a good neighbour? Do you want to protect vulnerable residents from rogue traders?
Signs an unwanted doorstep caller is visiting a neighbour:
- traders have been cold calling in the area
- a builder’s van is parked nearby, particularly one that doesn’t include a company name or contact details
- building or maintenance work on your neighbour’s garden or house starts unexpectedly
- poor quality work is visible on the roof, driveway, or property
- your neighbour appears anxious or distressed
- your neighbour visits the bank, building society, or post office more frequently, particularly if they are accompanied
What can you do?
- ask your neighbour in private - in person or on the phone - if things are OK
- if they are displeased, suggest calling a relative or carer on their behalf
- note any vehicle registration numbers
- keep hold of any flyers you have received through your door
- ask if the trader has left any paperwork and put it in a clean food bag
- if you suspect a crime, call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06, or if the situation with the trader becomes volatile, call the police
For further information on becoming a 'Nominated Neighbour', contact Trading Standards.