Animal licences

Catteries and kennels

If you run a boarding kennel or cattery business, you need a licence (under the The Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 (link opens in new window)).

This also applies if you look after other people’s dogs or cats within your home ('home boarding').

Home boarding has a condition preventing young children in the same house as the dogs - the minimum age is 12.

You should consider the following when applying for an animal boarding establishment licence:

  • whether you will require planning permission for change of use or for building the necessary accommodation
  • the disposal of waste and litter
  • the potential for nuisance to neighbours - for example from barking dogs
  • the health, safety and welfare requirements in relation to anyone you may employ in connection with the business

The costs

Animal boarding fee including home boarding
Number of animalsCost
1 to 10 animals
11 to 20 animals
21 animals or over
Animal boarding and breeding (at same site)
Number of animalsCost
1 to 10 animals
11 to 20 animals
21 animals or over

You may also be required to pay the cost of inspections carried out by our authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

How to apply

You can apply for an animal boarding establishment licence online (link opens in new window)

What happens next?

After you submit your application, we will contact you within 5 working days and arrange inspections to ensure your premises meet the required standards.

Payment will become due as soon as your application is approved. You can pay online (link opens in new window) or by calling 0300 300 8136. You can also send a cheque made payable to Central Bedfordshire Council.

The validation check list is:

  • application received
  • visit by officer from Environment Health
  • approval
  • payment

A licence will not be issued if you have been disqualified under any of the following Acts:

Tacit consent

Your licence will be issued within 20 working days of payment.

Tacit consent does not apply for this licence. You must not assume that your licence is granted if you have not heard from us.

Appeals and complaints

Please email if you have been refused a licence or have a complaint about the issue of the licence.

Alternatively, you can write to:

The Service Manager
Public Protection
Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk
SG17 5TQ

Back to the top