Central Bedfordshire Council's executive endorsed the Dunstable Masterplan in March 2011.
The Masterplan set out a vision for the town centre and development objectives, outlining key principles to promote renewal, redevelopment and improvement of the town centre.
The Masterplan, which has been developed with input from key landowners, local residents and businesses, includes a number of proposals such as:
- the redevelopment of the town centre with a mix of retail, office, leisure, residential and community facilities
- building a new medical centre
- improving connections to different parts of the town
- improving access to the town centre by public transport
- improving walking and cycling routes
You can download the final Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan documents:
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - An Introduction (PDF 1.1MB) (PDF 1.7MB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Achieving the Transformation (PDF 1.7MB) (PDF 313.4KB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Capacity Schedule (PDF 313.4KB) (PDF 2.2MB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Explaining the Detail (PDF 2.2MB) (PDF 841.9KB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Delivering the Proposals (PDF 841.9KB) (PDF 1.3MB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Appendices A-E (PDF 1.3MB) (PDF 404.4KB)
- Dunstable Town Centre Masterplan - Equality Impact Assessment (PDF 404.4KB)
The Dunstable / Houghton Regis area is designated as an area that will continue to grow significantly, mainly through a sustainable urban extension to the north and north west of Houghton Regis.
Significant new business investment has already been made in the area, with companies attracted by the improving transport links and skilled people in the locality.
Over the next 20 years, at least 7,000 houses will be delivered and 3,000 to 4,000 new jobs will be created.