How much support can you get?
Your Council Tax Support will depend on:
- your Council Tax charge
- whether you are over state pension credit age
- the amount you need to live on
- your household income and capital
You do not need to be getting any other benefits to get Council Tax Support.
You cannot get any Council Tax Support if:
- you have savings over £16,000 and do not get Pension Guarantee Credit
- you are an asylum seeker or do not have a qualifying right to reside in the UK
- you are not liable for Council Tax on the property you live in (for example, if you are a full-time student)
The amount of support you can get depends on which Council Tax Support scheme applies to you. Different schemes apply to working age people and people over the state pension credit age
If you are over state pension credit age
Your local Council Tax support will be worked out using a national reduction scheme.
Your maximum Council Tax support will be 100% of your Council Tax liability.
If you are under state pension credit age
Every council in England has set their own reduction scheme for working age people. Your Council Tax Support will be worked out using a local reduction scheme which only applies in Central Bedfordshire.
Your maximum Council Tax support will be 75% of your Council Tax liability, unless you are disabled or vulnerable. Our local Council Tax support scheme gives full details about who is protected.